Sunday, March 25, 2018

Basic Matzah Balls Ratios " Yiddisher Kop "

I've been asked many times for my Matzah Ball recipe and to everyones surprise I never took the time to write it down. In fact I never make it twice the same. I just know how it should look and feel between my finger tips. I can offer some basic ratios and suggestions but in the end it's about personal preference and your Halchal especially around Pesach.



Here are the Basic Ratios with some suggestions. 
How much will this make? How big are you going to make them? 2-4 Servings for the Basic Ratio. I use a 20 ml ice-cream scoop for specificity. 

 "The Ratio of ONE" 
  • 1 Large Egg 
  • 1 TBL Liquid 
  • 1 TBL Fat
  • 1/4 cup of Matzah Meal
  • 1/4 TSP Salt 
  • 1/4 TSP Pepper 
If you can remember these ratios the rest is easy. 

Floaters or Sinkers? If you want sinkers use the basic ratios. If you want floaters I would suggest using Seltzer for the liquid or 1/8-1/4 Tsp of Baking Powder. If you want balloons use both. If you want spongy (if that's your thing) separate the yolks from the white and whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them into the mixture. Use all three techniques and the balls will float out of the pot. 

More on Liquids- If you don't use Seltzer you could use Stock or water. Again this is a preference thing. 

Fat- Use a neutral oil or Schmaltz. Yea I think you know which one I prefer. If you want to go crazy take your Gribenes, freeze and process to a fine crumb and add that to your mixture. Dang this is good stuff. 

Matzah Meal- Buy some or make your own. I've noticed sometimes that the ratios are not perfect depending on the hydration of the meal. Go by sight and feel. Heck make your own Matzah and go to town. 

Salt and Pepper- This is an estimate. Are you poaching in Stock that contains salt? Salted water? 

Forming Balls- Grease your hands.

Cooking- Poach for 40-60 minutes depending on the size of the balls. keep pot covered. Uncovering the pot will produce smaller balls. 

Other things- Add other things to the Matzah Balls. I love ground ginger and dill. Add spices and herbs. Turmeric  Corainder makes a nice additon too. Go crazy and experiment. 

The Mixture- After everything is combined it needs to rest in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes. It has to mesh together AKA hydrate. The Matzah meal has to absorb all the moisture. 








    No comments:

    Post a Comment