Sunday, April 1, 2018

Lamb Fried Matzah Balls

It's one of those recipes that came together almost by mistake. I was headed over to a buddies house for Pesach and I wanted to bring something traditional, different and special. They were serving Lamb for the Seder Meal and most likely Matzah Ball Soup. Since Seders can last a while I wanted to bring appetizers that could sustain us until the meal was served. 

I brought Homemade Matzah  which we ate a lot of during the Seder and these Fried Balls. Everyone loves Matzah and Matzah Balls so why not bring more of the same but kicked up a notch. I wish I had taken more photos but this came together at the last moment. As long as you follow the ratios of meat, eggs and matzah these babies will float after you poach them. They can be served in place of the traditional Matzah balls too….. just don't fry them. In fact if you find traditional Matzah Balls boring you will love these. I personally love Matzah Ball soup. Well truth be told I love my Matzah Ball Soup. Anyhow add what ever you want. Flavor profiles are up to you. I never make the same thing twice. I hate following recipes. 



I used two pounds of Lamb but any meat combo would work. Maybe Veal and Lamb mixed together. Chicken or Turkey? if you use Chicken or Turkey make sure to use Gribenes too. 




My suggestion is to sauté the shallots, garlic and ginger before adding to the meat mixture. Oh… you must fry in Schmaltz. I shouldn't have to tell you this but make sure to minced up the garlic and the ginger. Oy Vey!!





Add these to a food processor. Chose what ever brand  you want. If you don't like cranberries use another dried fuit. Golden raisins, peach or mango would work well too. 


Chopped Cilantro is a great addition but if you don't care for it use parsley. 







Gotta love scallions and chives. I really didn't measure either. Use as much or as little as you want. 



Everything in the bowl!!! 








 Form into balls using an ice-cream scoop. 
I used a little one. Chose your size or use your hands. You know if you are short on time make these the day before. 








Poach in salted water or stock for 45 minutes. This is the tool I used to scoop out balls. 








Scooped out and placed on large tray to cool. After they were cooled I dusted them in flour and deep fried at 375 f until golden. In this particular recipe I used Gluten free Matzah Meal and flour. Use what ever you want. 

I made several sauces to accompany these babies. I made Honey Mustard sauce, And a funky Tomato Sauce in which I used a lot of Cilantro, Mint and heavy cream. And let's not forget my Horseradish sauce. 



No comments:

Post a Comment